Subject Area Teacher (SAT) program qualifies graduates to teach their field of subject matter in grades 5-10. It’s a four-year program includes courses in general education, specialized teaching methods courses, subject matter courses, university requirements, and general electives.
This program targets to qualify pre-service teacher students with pedagogical knowledge, skills and professional competencies of teaching. Though, the program is under the auspices of the Faculty of Education it, engages other faculty members from other departments such as: English, Arabic, Math and Humanities in teaching the subject matter, administration and supervision.
Program Learning Outcomes
Knowledge and Understanding: at the end of the program, graduates are expected to be able to:
- evaluate the Palestinian education system, its philosophy policies, laws, regulations and curriculum.
- critically analyze textbooks.
- be aware of the developmental characteristics and background of students based on educational theories.
- demonstrate up to date knowledge of appropriate teaching/ learning strategies, assessment tools and classroom management.
- explore the appropriate school life context that promotes active learning.
- critically analyze the socio-psycho and educational problems, giving proper counseling and guidance based on appropriate principles and strategies.
- show deep awareness of human rights, social justice, equality/equity and cultural diversity.
- demonstrate high knowledge of criteria and principles of scientific research and inquiry.
- show deep understanding of the professional values and ethics of the teaching profession in Palestine.
- be aware of adapting modern educational technology in teaching / learning settings.
Skills: Student will be able to:
- Design and plan scientific research.
- implement the Palestinian education system, its philosophy and policies, laws and regulations.
- enrich the used textbooks taking into consideration students’ aptitudes, needs, and interests in the light of education theories.
- use different and appropriate teaching and learning strategies, assessment and classroom management techniques.
- utilize the available real life resources in his/her profession.
- use different counseling and guidance approaches to help students resolving their problems.
- conduct qualitative and quantitative research with respect to scientific criteria and procedures.
Attitudes: Student will be able to:
- reflect on his/her own practices as a means for professional development.
- communicate well with others.
- engage in short and long term planning.
- work independently and in teams/groups.
- be committed to human rights values, democracy, justice and equality principles in his/her profession.
- adapt high-order-thinking skills.
- take advantage of modern technology as a means of professional development.
- provide equal learning opportunities for all students.
- adjust to new situations and cherish changes and development.
- open and respectful of cultural diversity.
Teaching in schools, school supervisors, educators in Educational centers/organizations.