Module Description & Objectives:
This module introduces the modern and traditional techniques of preparing cold entrees, hors d’oeuvres, antipasti, basic garnishes, buffet presentations, cold sandwiches, salads and dressings, molds, garnishes. The principles of basic pantry operation and management, product utilization, preparation and integration into other kitchen stations is discussed. Students plan, organize and set up buffets and learn practical techniques of platter design and plate presentation
Module Learning Outcomes:
Upon satisfactory completion of this module, a participant should have the ability to:
- Contrast the duties of a garde manger
- Identify the various types of pantry equipment
- Identify the various types of salads and demonstrate skills for preparation of compound, tossed and composed salads
- Demonstrate preservation techniques of smoking, brining, curing, drying, marinating and pickling and prepare related antipasti dishes
- Define open face sandwiches canapés and prepare ten different canapés
- Identify various types of sandwiches, sandwich breads, sandwich spreads and fillings and demonstrate skills for preparation and recipe creation
- Identify and demonstrate skills of preparing forcemeats and charcuterie including production of terrine, galantine, pate, mousses and pate en croutes.
- Demonstrate skills for preparation, design and presentation of cold plated appetizers, and buffets
Program Duration & Capacity:
16 sessions of 3 hours each for a total of 48 hours
Maximum capacity of 16 participants
Hotel and restaurant cooks.