Module Description & Objectives:
Nutritional food does not have to be boring! In this module students will learn how to do a nutritional analysis of menus and recipes while discovering the sensory properties of food. This hands-on module reinforces the healthiest cooking techniques, namely steaming and poaching. Using these methods students will produce flavorful and nutritionally balanced menus and dishes.
Module Learning Outcomes:
Upon satisfactory completion of this module, a participant should have the ability to:
- Demonstrate sensory evaluation techniques and proficiency in the healthy cooking techniques of steaming, poaching, blanching and wrap cookery.
- Distinguish the functions and sources of Protein, Fat and Carbohydrate in Cookery and demonstrate competence in recipe modifications to produce healthy recipes with each
- Describe the value of organic and sustainable foods and apply the principles to menu and recipe planning.
- Describe and utilize different flavor enhancers in healthy recipes and distinguish between the enhancers by ethnic flavor profile
- Demonstrate basics of plate presentation
- Create and demonstrate at least 3 recipes of healthy and flavorful menu items
FSS-110, CUL-110, CUL-120, CUL-130
Program Duration & Capacity:
8 sessions of 6 hours each for a total of 48 hours
Maximum capacity of 16 participants
This module is designed for kitchen employees in the hospitality industry who wish to hone their skills in culinary arts.