The Department of Biology offers a baccalaureate degree in Biology. The program exposes students to the major fields of biological sciences, and develops skills of analytical thinking, initiative, and scientific creativity in students, preparing them for careers in teaching, research, and medical technology. It also prepares individuals to pursue post-graduate studies in biology and other related fields. In addition the Department offers minors in Biology and Medical Laboratory Sciences, and also offers service courses for the Faculty of Nursing.
Program Learning Outcomes
The students should be able to demonstrate:
- Familiarity with the concept of the cell and its repertoire of organelles and their functional molecules, as well as ultra-structural organization of cells into tissues organs and systems.
- The Ability to interpret scientific data and utilize it in testing a hypothesis.
- Knowledge of gene concept and control of its expression, besides appreciation of the importance of biodiversity as a resource of germ plasma and its potential utilization for the welfare of mankind.
- Ability to utilize model based-approach in explaining the concept of phylogenic, host-parasite interaction, ecological profiling and the response to biotic and abiotic environmental factors.
- Applying the principle of recombinant DNA technology and its utilization in addressing relevant Palestinian health and agricultural issues. For example, testing for certain viruses in plants and genetic basis of consanguinity diseases.
- Ability and skills to retrieve, report and communicate, both verbally and in writing, scientific literature and to utilize bioinformatics tools in storage, management, mining, prediction and analysis of biological data.
- Ability to conduct and undertake a graduation project. This may include the undertaking of a research project to enable the student to plan for and write the research proposal; then conduct the research work, collect the data, analyze it, then write up a report/paper/thesis. It is intended to complement the senior seminar course.
- Well command on formulating an argument on public debates concerning genetically modified organisms, therapeutic cloning, stem cell research, and comprehending of the major global crises such as global warming, and shortage in food supply.
- Ability to make the connection between what is learned in the theory and that is practiced and conducted in the practicum part of the course. This issue is stressed even more in the practicum of the medical laboratory minor.
The career destinations of our Biology graduates include; School teachers, medical laboratorians, researchers, university lecturers upon completion of a graduate program in Biology or other related sciences, technician at hospitals, etc.