Biotechnology is a new field in the realm of applied sciences which combines disciplines like genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, embryology, and cell biology, that are in turn linked to practical disciplines like chemical engineering, information technology, and robotics. Biotechnology has applications in four major areas, including health care (medical), crop production and agriculture, non-food (industrial) uses of crops and other products (e.g. biodegradable plastics, vegetable oil, biofuels), and environmental uses. In medicine, modern biotechnology finds promising applications in such areas as pharmacogenomics, drug production, genetic testing, and gene therapy.
Due to the market demands in Palestine for highly qualified and trained personnel in this field, Bethlehem University and Palestine Polytechnic University have jointly developed a Master’s degree in Biotechnology with specializations in either Biomedical Sciences or Plant Technology.
The master’s degree program is the first joint program of its kind in Palestine and represents a collaborative project that builds on the resources available at both institutions.
Program Learning Outcomes
As learning outcomes of the program, students will be able to:
- Understand and articulate key concepts in molecular genetics relevant to biotechnology especially genomic health.
- Develop critical thinking and the ability to discern and understand published information including in research articles, reviews, and books pertaining to studied areas of advanced molecular genetics.
- Start to ask questions about areas of molecular genetics in a way that allows designing new research projects especially relevant to development in Palestine.
- Improve the ability to work safely and effectively in a laboratory.
- Learn terms and concepts related to biotechnology, molecular biology, and tissue culture.
- Get acquainted with instruments and tools used in molecular biotechnology.
- Use quantitative skills to prepare reagents for experiments accurately and reproducibly.
- Realize ethical issues in biotechnology fields.
- Address social concerns regarding common biotechnology issues.
- Present their own ideas in professional manners.
- Evaluate strategies from current research literature for addressing emerging viral threats.
- Work proficiently with animal and plant cell and tissue culturing and present a practical report of their work in a scientific format.
- Demonstrate familiarity with key sequence analysis methods in order to address problems in molecular biology.
One of the main objectives of the program is to prepare highly qualified and trained personnel in the relevant applications of Biotechnology. Graduates will pursue career opportunities in university teaching and research; in both public and private medical and agriculture labs and research institutions; forensic and fertility labs; molecular diagnostics labs; pharmaceutical companies and vaccine production plants; food industry and environmental monitoring organizations; and in quality control labs.
The mission of the Graduate Studies programs at Bethlehem University is to promote excellence in instruction and research and to provide advanced high-quality education, training and experiences that can prepare the next generation of Palestinian scholars, professional and leaders to meet the needs of Palestinian society and the challenges of the 21st century.