CUL-160 Module: Pastries and cake decorations
Module Description & Objectives:
This module is designed to introduce students to basic baking and pastry principles and ingredients. Production includes commonly served quick breads, pies, desserts and cookies. Students will also be introduced to yeasted items, cakes and plated desserts and garnishes. Proper use of the bakers scale, liquid measurements and equipment identification are emphasized.
Module Learning Outcomes:
Upon satisfactory completion of this module, a participant should have the ability to:
- Identify and demonstrate the ingredient function for pastry making including the proper use of the bakers scale, baker’s percentages and formula reading
- Understand and utilize the mixing process relative to gluten development & bread making
- Explain and demonstrate methods of making cakes and cookies
- Identify and make the different types of cakes and demonstrate methods of cake decorating
- Demonstrate skills for preparation, design and presentation of plated desserts
Program Duration & Capacity:
8 sessions of 6 hours each for a total of 48 hours
Maximum capacity of 16 participants
Hotel and restaurant cooks.